The sixth and seventh installments in the King of Fighters franchise make their ways to the Sony PS2 in The King of Fighters 2000/2001 from SNK Playmore, a double-pack collection of 2D fighting.
Two installments of the 2D fighting series are faithfully reproduced with all your favorite characters, each with their own attacks, combos, and special moves.
In each game, you create your own team of martial artists and fight in three-on-three matches against the AI or a friend. With The King of Fighters 2000/2001, you get a variety of modes, unlockable character introductions, and brand-new backgrounds.
The King of Fighters 2000
After the incident at the previous tournament, the commander of the Ikari Team, Heidern, is determined to figure out the objective of the NESTS cartel so that he can stop them from achieving their ruthless ambition.
A fellow commander and long-time friend of Heidern, named Ling, tells the veteran fighter that K′ and Maxima were once operatives of NESTS and that they may hold the key to locating the whereabouts of the mysterious organization.
Using this information, Heidern decides to focus his efforts in using the next KOF tournament as a way to lure both K′ and Maxima out so that they can be captured and interrogated into telling the authorities about the NESTS cartel. Unknown to Heidern, however, Ling has his own agenda.
The King of Fighters 2001
Time has passed since most of Southtown was decimated by the now-destroyed Zero Cannon. Another KOF tournament is being held and this time, it's hosted by the NESTS Organization, the group of antagonists behind the events of the previous two games.
K′ and Maxima return to put an end to NESTS once and for all. They are now joined by former Ikari Team member Whip and the assassin Lin formerly from Benimaru's Team, both of whom are seeking the destruction of NESTS as well.
NESTS sends their own team to compete in the tournament, composed of NESTS agents Kula Diamond, K9999, Foxy, and Angel.
Kyo Kusanagi joins his former teammates of Benimaru Nikaido and Goro Daimon, reuniting the original Japan Team along with Shingo Yabuki, while Iori Yagami joins a team composed of agents Seth, Vanessa, and Ramon. Yuri Sakazaki rejoins the Art of Fighting Team, while King and Mai Shiranui once again lead the Women Fighters Team along with the returning Li Xiangfei and Hinako Shijo.
Heidern also makes his KOF return, taking Whip's place in the Ikari Team, while Kim Kaphwan's young student May Lee takes over Jhun Hoon's place in the Korean Team, who is unable to compete due to an injury!
- The King of Fighters 2000 is the 6th installment in the franchise!
- Sequel to KOF 99 "The Tale of NESTS".
- Movie demos from previous KOF series games.
- 35 playable characters (plus a Striker for each one) and more hidden ones.
- Pit teams of 3 against each other with Striker protecting teammates.
- 4 Modes: Arcade, Single Player, Practice and Party Plus Memory Mode.
- The King of Fighters 2001 is the 7th installment in the franchise!
- Final chapter in "The Tales of NESTS".
- 40 playable characters and 2 additional player characters.
- Special new Strikers - never before seen on any home or arcade system.
- 1-on-4, 2-on-3, with a maximum of 4-on-4 character matches are selectable.
- Stunning, high-resolution graphics - Special Moves have a translucent glow!